Did you have a good Christmas? I hope so. I sure did. I got everything I wanted – lululemon workout clothes and a Wii fit. More importantly, I got an extra something very special that is sure to encourage me to get in shape in 2012……an engagement ring!!!!! It’s very very exciting! I guess it really is true that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. I never even had to make that cliche “engagement chicken” recipe from Glamour magazine. However I did make my fiance (so fun to call him that!) a couple of these margaritas on Christmas Eve. I like to think it was these delicious (and very strong) concoctions that gave him the encouragement he needed to pop the question on Christmas morning. And how fitting that I found the recipe on a blog called My Life as a Mrs. Her tagline is “Eat Drink and Be Married” So cute! But it doesn’t matter if your single, engaged, married or divorced, these margaritas are delicious and you must make them ASAP.
For the Cranberry Pomegranate Syrup:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- zest of 1 orange
For Each Margarita:
- 3 oz cranberry pomegranate syrup
- 2 oz tequila of your choice
- 1 oz triple sec
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
For the Cranberry Pomegranate Syrup
*This recipe makes enough syrup for about 4 margaritas, double or triple if you’re having a big party*
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Bring to a simmer and stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Cover the pan with a fitted lid but watch it carefully to make sure it doesn’t boil over, and stir as needed.
2. Once all the cranberries burst, bring the heat to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender (or allow to cool and carefully blend in a blender or food processor – I used my mom’s miniature food processor -its amazing. I must get one).
3. Pour the syrup through a fine strainer into an air tight container and store in the refrigerator until cooled or for up to one week
To Assemble the Margaritas:
4. Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass or cocktail shaker and stir or shake well. Fill glass with crushed ice and pour drink over ice. Garnish with fresh cranberries.
Source: Adapted from My Life as a Mrs.