I purchased my first Bon Appetit magazine at the airport over the holidays, and I am in love. I need to order a subscription. It is top on my very long and overwhelming “to do” list, right above getting the puppy microchipped and re-doing the backyard. I guess it’s quite an easy task in the grand scheme of things. Maybe I will place my order today. I’m feeling quite inspired. Many of the Bon Appetit recipes were a bit challenging and are something to be saved for a weekend dinner when I have lots of time to cook, but this recipe was quick, easy, healthy and flavorful. So far, I’m 2-0 on healthy dinners this week. Yay! Maybe I won’t have to wear a Muumuu the whole time I’m in Hawaii after all.
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped (I didn’t peel mine and it was fine)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped, divided
- 1 tsp (or more) fresh lime juice
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 TB olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded
- lime wedges for garnish
1. Cook up some rice according to package directions
2. Chop up all your fruit and veggies, and shred the chicken.
3. Combine the chopped apples, 1/4 cup of the cilantro, 2 tablespoons of the onion, and 1 teaspoon lime juice in a small bowl; toss to coat. Set aside
4. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the remaining onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until completely softened, 6–7 minutes. Add garlic and next 3 ingredients; stir constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and beans, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer while stirring often and mashing some of the beans with the back of a spoon. Simmer until sauce is thickened, about 8–10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and more lime juice, if desired.
5. Divide rice and beans among plates. Topwith some chicken and apple salsa. Garnish with remaining cilantro and lime wedges.
Source: Adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine